Re: Network Connection/Newbie

On (10/09/04 06:56), Roger Creasy wrote:
> Zachary Rizer <zrizer@yahoo.com> wrote:--- Roger Creasy wrote:
>
> > Howdy!
> >
> > I just installed sarge with KDE. I have DSL internet
> > connectivity through my network card, so the card is
> > working. However, if, from the KDE desktop, I go to
> > home -> LAN connection, I get an error that says
> > that the protocol is not available. What's up with
> > this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any assistance,
> You need to set up the operating system to communicate
> with your DSL modem or router (however you have it set
> up). Read one of the many HOWTOs on the subject at
> tldp.org and google.com. Note: KDE != OS|Linux|Unix
>
> ~Z
>
> But, my internet connection works, it is my network connection that does not.
Hi Roger

If your LAN is a windows network, you need to install samba (smbclient)
if it's Linux (NFS) based ytou will need NFS installed.  For samba
setup, look at:

http://fluffygerbil.com/unofficial-samba.txt

HTH

Clive

--
Byte-Night 2004 ... helping the young homeless .. please visit:
https://www.bmycharity.com/clive