Re: problem to install on SCSI harddisk

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:22:24 -0700, Raquel Rice wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:53:39 -0600
> Justin Guerin <jguerin@cso.atmel.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 08 September 2004 21:47, David YC Yu
> wrote:
> > > Hi :
> > >     Sorry to bother you guys.
> > > I have 3 hard disks, one IDE, two SCSI harddisk2.
> And I use
> > > CD-ROM to install Debian. I wanto to install Linux
> in my one of
> > > SCSI hard disk. But install program only can
detect
> the IDE
> > > harddisk, and can't find out SCSI hard disk.
> > >
> > > P.S.  SCSI adapter controlller can detect
> successfaull my two
> > > SCSI harddisk during BIOS booting.
> > >
> > > David YC Yu
> >
> > Are you installing Woody or Sarge?  If you're using
> woody, you'll
> > need the SCSI modules on a floppy disk.  Before you
> come to the
> > disk partitioning step, load the SCSI modules, and
> you'll be fine
> > from there.  Also, you might try some of the other
> install
> > kernels.  I don't know which you are using, but I
> think bf2.4 has
> > support for more hardware, possibly including SCSI.
> >
> > If you're using Sarge, you might need to use expert
> mode to grab
> > the SCSI drivers off the CD-ROM.  They will then be
> loaded, and
> > you'll be fine.
> >
> > If this doesn't help, post the errors you get, along
> with the
> > steps you've tried, and also post your hardware
> configuration.
> >
> > Justin Guerin
> >

> I have Woody bf2.4 installed on an HP NetServer LC 3,
> which has 3
> SCSI drives with no IDE drives.  Worked like a charm.
>
> --
> Raquel

Some times you can have problems with SCSI because the
driver that you need is not loaded at boot time.

Nevertheless you can solve this problem in several ways.

1. Try to load the drivers from a floppy.
 with insmod or modeprobe.
2. Compile a kernel with your SCSI drivers and
overwrite the rescue disk kernel with the new one.
3. Download the additional driver disks that comes with
Debian.

Also I recommend you to read the following chapters of
the Debian installation guide.

Chapter 10 - Technical Information on the Boot Floppies
10.3 Replacing the Rescue Floppy Kernel
10.4 Preloading Existing Modules

If it does not work then send more info about your
problem.

Regards :)

Ing. Sergio Basurto Juárez
Tel: 04455-85322945