Re: spurious interrupt error causes a kernel panic during Debian install

On Thursday 09 September 2004 00:32, Lorenzo Cuciniello wrote:
> Hi everybody!
> Here is the nth newbie having problems with this error.
> I searched over the Net (uncle Google rules... ) but not encountered the
> solution to my puzzling dilemma.
> I ever read about poeople who experience this error during the normal
> computing activity (solving it with a simple dmesg),but none during the
> install process.
> Briefly, my problem is that I cannot install Woody (3.0r2) with
> precompiled bf24 kernel image on my machine,because of this error after
> the first kernel loading.
> The error is:
> *************
> Spurious 8259A interrupt:IRQ7
> kernel panic!
> attempt to kill init
> **************
Try switching to the message console (Alt-F3, I think.  Check before you
boot).  When the freeze occurs, you may get a more informative error
message.

> subsequently the PC hangs.No way to go on!I have to physically restart
> the machine.
> I don't think my PC is too exotic: here it:
> ASUS A7v600x with 512Mb Ram (SATA RAID onboard,but not used,LAN Via
> Rhine,audio AC97 5.1 onboard)
> Nvidia Geforce 440Mx 64Mb
> /dev/hda Maxtor 60Gb PATA
> /dev/hdb LG DVD
> /dev/hdc Maxtor 80Gb PATA
> /dev/hdd LG CD-RW
> LAN Card RTL8139 10/100
> Creative Live! Soundblaster 5.1
> Philips TV card
> I already tried to solve disconnecting all peripherals and cards,but the
> error still persists.I also tried the "noapic" install kernel option
> without results.
> The sole "scientific" explanation is here:
> http://www7.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~ksjh/research/cluster/timesync/sp
>rint.html The series 2.2.x kernel seems to work fine.The problem exists
> only with kernels from 2.4.18 to 2.4.26.I still did not try the 2.4.27
> because in this moment I don't have a spare PC with Linux inside,and I
> have to compile it.
>
> Comments and solutions are welcome
> P.s.: excuse me for my bad English! :-)
>
> Grazie!
> Lorenzo

Would you be willing to try installing Sarge?  It's set to go stable soon,
and I'm told there is already support from the security team.  The new
installer may be able to handle your situation, and you can even try a 2.6
series kernel, if 2.4 still won't do what you want.

Also, if 2.2 kernels work, why not install with 2.2, then upgrade from
there?  Yes, it's possible you'll still experience the kernel hang, but
it's possible you won't.  It might be worth a try, if all else fails.

Justin Guerin