gnome problem

Ok, I have downloaded via apt-get a gnome package and after I got it and installed it I got a conflict with my already existing (up and running) xdm server (I presume). After rebooting I got a Gnome inlogscreen. Through this screen I can log in but NOT with Gnome selected. When I select this option I get a flikkering screen and it turns black and I am not accepted in my Debian system. Instead I am directed back to the inlogscreen of Gnome. Can anybody tell me what to do so I can log in with Gnome selected?

Kind regard,

Paul Akkermans