Sid: xserver and kdm

Hi group,

after coming back from our holidays, we experienced strange problems with
the startup of the x-window-system both at my workplace and at home (where
workplace means nForce2-Board with MGA graphics card, and home machine
means nForce1-Board with integrated graphics):

Issue 1:
Sometimes after starting X, kdm doesn't accept any typing. You can
mouse-select a username, but never type in a password for that. Logging
into a text-console, dpkg-reconfiguring kdm and trying again seems like a
workaround.

Issue 2:
With the latest xserver-xfree86_4.3.0.dfsg.1-7_i386.deb, our home machine
doesn't start X at all. Instead of this, top shows over 99% CPU cycles for
XFree86 when accessed remotely with SSH. Things like <CTRL><ALT><F1> or
<CTRL><ALT><Backspace> don't work, and we can't even shutdown the machine
from a remote laptop (and hitting that reset button really hurts each time
I have to do that). Installing an older xserver seems to be a workaround
again, but still Issue 1 is the same.

So at the moment, only that old ASUS laptop (P3-750) runs fine - but that
one uses sarge instead of sid...

Anyone who can help?

TIA,
wjl aka Wolfgang Lonien
Key ID 0x728d9bd0 - public key available at wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
Honda NTV '94 still running on fuel - everything else here runs Debian
GNU/Linux