Re: /dev/pts/0: Operation not permitted (Solved)

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 02:43:19PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> When I do a su - sysadm on one server with Woody I get the error
> message in the subject line. That happens only when su to sysadm is
> being used.
>
> Apart from the error message everything seems work normally:
>
> 14:40:38 js@mxx:/var/log/exim4$ sudo su - sysadm
> /dev/pts/0: Operation not permitted
> 14:40:42 sysadm@mxx:~$
> 14:40:42 sysadm@mxx:~$ exit
> logout
> 14:41:30 js@mxx:/var/log/exim4$
>
> What is causing this?

The culprit was the following line in ~/.bash_profile:

biff y

Commenting that out stopped the error messages.

Maybe biff can't be used if one su - 'ed to a user?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.
      Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your
      hearts, you double minded."       James 4:8