shared address book

I've got a Debian-sarge box set up as a mail server, and I'm looking
for users to share address books. I was hoping to use Thunderbird
(Windows clients, btw), but its LDAP support is read only - I need
read/write... or a simple way to add entries (ie: a separate program).

How does one deploy shared read/write address books? I'm open to most
any free/cheap solution, provided it'll work on Windows client-side.

(BTW, I already set up SquirrelMail, but I was hoping for something a
bit nicer... thus far I've not had much luck convincing the unwashed
masses of its value.)

Thanks,
Jake Maul