Re: Executing script on X login

Stefan O'Rear wrote:
On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 04:47:38PM -0700, Matt Perry wrote:

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Erik Steffl wrote:

problem 1 (that's just something to be careful about): if you just have the default x-window-manager it can be replaced during update and when you restart WM the X session will crash/end.

problem 2 (IMO serious alternative issue): even if you set up the x-window-manager to whatever you want manually and alternatives promises to not touch it (see the docs) it actually does change it (it switches the x-window-manager to another WM), I am not sure why because I always found out about it too late. You restart your WM and the X session is gone.

Did you use sudo update-alternatives --config or did you manually fiddle
the symlinks / priorities?

of course I used update-alternatives. it happened few times so I read the docs and all. plus there was a discussion about it on debian-user (or user), so it's not like I was making links myself and blaming alternatives.

it might have been solved because I just checked and fvwm2 is still the selected one. It used to be overriden (few times) when some of the other WMs were updated.

  here's the bug I filed:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=178333&archive=yes

  here's a what google found (search for steffl):

http://www.faqchest.com/linux/DEBIAN/debian-03/debian-0303/debian-030301/debian03030504_08492.html

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/12/threads.html

	erik