Re: sarge dist-upgrade "Package is in a very bad inconsistent state"

>From Carlos Sousa on Monday, 2004-09-06 at 22:38:14 +0100:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 23:18:25 +0200 Conrad Newton wrote:
> [...]
> > It is not an answer to your question, and maybe it is not even
> > relevant to your problem, but I am having similar problems
> > here with tetex-base.  When I try to correct the problem,
> > I get a system crash or even trigger a reboot.
> >
> > The system is a mixture of testing and unstable (pinned to
> > testing, but with several major applications upgraded).
> > I have had numerous instabilities lately, and thought
> > that I might improve the situation by upgrading to
> > unstable (my unstable box works just fine), but instead
> > things look worse than ever . . .
> >
> > For example, I was just going to try the following
> >
> > apt-get -f install
> > dpkg --configure -a
> >
> > but already at the first step, I get a reboot!!!????!!!
> > What could be causing this?
>
> Sure smells a lot like hardware trouble (memory?). Better be
> ready with your backups...

I believe I have found the trouble:  corruption of the reiserfs.
Of course you may be right:  that I have reiserfs corruption
because of bad memory, but I will hope for the best now that
I have corrected the problem.

I finally got the box to crash with an error message:

vs-500: unknown uniqueness 1684368227

google sent me directly to issues of reiserfs corruption.
The box was fixed with a knoppix CD and

reiserfsck --check /dev/hda3
reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/hda3

Conrad