Re: Printing with Mozilla and Firefox

s	Please, RFC 1855.

Em Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:40:09 +0200, Alan E. Davis escreveu:

> When trying to print from Mozilla or Firefox on a friend's Debian
> box (which started from a Knoppix 3.4 install a couple of months
> ago), the print dialog lists some printers, including "lp@:64".

	Looks like xprt printing remotely to an lpr spool.  Do you
have a print server?

> I had gotten printing working by installing magicfilter and lpr
> about three weeks before, so I was discouraged to learn that the
> above named printer was the default printer in cups.

	Wait a minute… did you install lpr or cups?  It should be
either one or the other.  Do prefer to use only one both at servers
and clients.

> It is impossible to edit the printer name in the dialog.

	Indeed, this is a function of either lpr or cups.

> I moved his ~/.mozilla, and after that a new postscript printer name
> was observed in the same dialog, in Mozilla only, NOT for firefox.
> Thunderbird does show this printer, and it is possible to print from
> either Mozilla or Thunderbird by selecting this printer.  However,
> it is still impossible to print from Firefox, which does not show
> the postscript printer in the print dialog.  I haven't found a
> .mozilla-firefox directory, but did find a Desktop/mozilla-firefox,
> which I deleted.  This did not change anything.

	Haven’t checked what’s the Firefox status, doesn’t it use cups
or lpr directly?

> I have reinstalled mozilla, which resulted in an upgrade, with no
> change, and deleted cupsys and some other cups packages.

	You should still be able to print with just lpr and xprt.

> Lpr has worked for me for a decade; even though apsfilter has often
> worked better, I still have clung to lpr and magicfilter whenever it
> works, although in a few cases apsfilter was a better choice, or the
> only one that easily worked.  I have recently ordered an HP
> multipurpose inkjet, and I think I'll have to use cups.  So I'll
> ask: where can I find a FM about CUPS besides the Printing HOWTO?
> And of course I'd appreciate any simple explanations aboutr
> CUPS---if it is understandable at all.

	Go cups.org.  The setup is quite easy, but troubleshooting can
be horrible.

> Is xprt controlling the print dialog?  What is?

	Yes.  Better check the xprt FAQ at /usr/share/doc/xprt-common.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +55 (44) 3028 7467 ext34
Rua Guarani 361 ap 601 – Z4                    +55 (44) 3025 6253