Re: First general purpose unmoderated newsgroup for Debian

On Wed, Sep 08 2004 at 02:42:24PM +0200, Raphaël Berbain wrote:
> It's an mml (MIME Meta Language) tag.  Paul uses Gnus, which in turn
> uses Emacs' Message mode to compose messages.  mml is a tagging
> language mecanism used by Emacs' message mode to convey
> meta-information internally to the MUA, mainly to compose mime
> messages.  AFAICT, it shouldn't actually appear in the resulting
> message, instead it should be rewritten as some MIME stanzas - or, in
> this case, as an inline PGP sig I guess.

Thanks for the info. All I know is once I tried gnus and it told me "No
gnus is good gnus." and I went back to mutt. :)

> Paul:  You might want to investigate that.  There are two issues that
> I can see: First, this mml tag shouldn't end up in the final message,
> should it ?  Second, ISTR that PGP/MIME is recommended over inline
> PGP.  The reason is that mail systems can handle reliably &
> automatically PGP/MIME signatures (handling being verify, strip,
> whatever).  OTOH, they cannot with inline PGP.

Yay pgp/mime, but it still seems to befuddle some poorly designed but
widely used MUA's.

Thomas Stivers	e-mail: stivers_t@tomass.dyndns.org