Re: First general purpose unmoderated newsgroup for Debian

Thomas Stivers <stivers_t@tomass.dyndns.org> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 04 2004 at 05:54:24PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> <#secure method=pgp mode=sign>
>
> Just out of curiosity what is the purpose of the line above? I have seen
> it only on Paul's messages and it seems unnecessary.

It's an mml (MIME Meta Language) tag.  Paul uses Gnus, which in turn
uses Emacs' Message mode to compose messages.  mml is a tagging
language mecanism used by Emacs' message mode to convey
meta-information internally to the MUA, mainly to compose mime
messages.  AFAICT, it shouldn't actually appear in the resulting
message, instead it should be rewritten as some MIME stanzas - or, in
this case, as an inline PGP sig I guess.

To give you an idea of what use they are, if I want to encrypt a
message I add an mml tag to it.  The message only actually gets
encrypted at the time I send it.  This way, I can edit it without
breaking the crypto.  You can see it as a way to say "hey, MUA -
remember to encrypt just before sending - but not now, it is too
early".  Signing, encrypting, attaching some file work this way in
Gnus world.

So what you see in Paul's messages looks to me like a leftover of a
Gnus missetup[1].

Paul:  You might want to investigate that.  There are two issues that
I can see: First, this mml tag shouldn't end up in the final message,
should it ?  Second, ISTR that PGP/MIME is recommended over inline
PGP.  The reason is that mail systems can handle reliably &
automatically PGP/MIME signatures (handling being verify, strip,
whatever).  OTOH, they cannot with inline PGP.

Regards,

Footnotes:
[1] Or, maybe, just maybe, some bug in Gnus.  But as we all know, this
    fine piece of software is bug free, isn't it ?[2]
[2] But then, with Gnus the difference between core Gnus code and
    personal configuration sometimes dims.  That's half the fun with
    this MUA.