Re: HD Patch for badsectors?

Louie Miranda wrote:

I have a really big problem.

I have a remote server, and some sectors on that drive is not
functioning well. it has badsectors..

end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 7372776
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 7372776
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 7372776
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 7372776
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 7372776

What commands, can i type? to patch everything and just make it active
so i could re-do my backup. common commands like ls, cp, mv, scp, tar
are not working.

common errors are.. "Bus error" and "input/output" errors.

It might not be the disk drive: I have seen a bad mobo do that sort of thing. "Bus error" doesn't really apply to PC hardware (I note you didn't say what your hardware is) and the fact you're getting them suggests you're running corrupted code; I'm not sure I'd trust a backup from that machine at all.

If at all possible, put that drive in a known good machine running a known good copy of Debian (or, at a pinch anything that can read your disk). Use that to copy your data; if that works you can figure the existing server is untrustworthy.

Even if it works, it does not mean your files are good, it is quite possible the same hardware errors giving you bus errors also cause you to write bad data.

:( my server has been hurt pretty bad.

It has,

--

Cheers