Re: HP DeskJet 895C

Freddy Freeloader(fredddy@cableone.net) is reported to have said:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm having problems with getting my HP DeskJet 895C printer to work.  It
> is connected with a usb cable.  I have, I think anyway, all the
> appropriate usb modules (ehci, uhci, usblp, and usbcore) loaded in the
> 2.6.8 kernel I'm using, and I'm running sarge(upgrade from woody).  I
> also have CUPS and the HP drivers "hpijs" and "hpoj" installed.  I can
> log onto the CUPS admin page and work with it so CUPS seems to be
> installed correctly.  However, I cannot get the computer to find the
> printer.   I know the printer works as I just unplugged it from another
> computer and used the same usb cable for both hookups.
>
> Anyone have any good ideas for troubleshooting this?  Being a newbie to
> Linux I'm at the end of my own ideas as to where to go from here.  I
> have run the "/etc/init.d/hpoj setup" command and it scans for, but does
> not find the printer.  I have the .ppd file for the printer installed in
> the /usr/share/cups/model/ directory.  The /proc/bus/usb/ directory is
> empty.   When I tell CUPS to look to usb interfaces for the printer, no
> matter what usb interface # I have used, the error log tells me the
> device can't be found.  When I run "gs -h" the "ijs" device is listed in
> the output.

Try installing hotplug
 This package contains the scripts necessary for hotplug Linux support,
 and lets you plug in new devices and use them immediately.
 It includes support for PCI, Cardbus (PCMCIA), USB and Firewire devices
 and can automatically configure network interfaces.

wt
--
The Softwære said "Windows 95 or better", so I dumped Win95 & loaded LINUX.
I have not looked back since.