From: Freddy Freeloader [mailto:fredddy@cableone.net]
Sent: Wednesday, 8 September 2004 8:46 a.m.
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: HP DeskJet 895C

Hi All,

I'm having problems with getting my HP DeskJet 895C printer to work.  It
is connected with a usb cable.  I have, I think anyway, all the
appropriate usb modules (ehci, uhci, usblp, and usbcore) loaded in the
2.6.8 kernel I'm using, and I'm running sarge(upgrade from woody).  I
also have CUPS and the HP drivers "hpijs" and "hpoj" installed.  I can
log onto the CUPS admin page and work with it so CUPS seems to be
installed correctly.  However, I cannot get the computer to find the
printer.   I know the printer works as I just unplugged it from another
computer and used the same usb cable for both hookups.

Anyone have any good ideas for troubleshooting this?  Being a newbie to
Linux I'm at the end of my own ideas as to where to go from here.  I
have run the "/etc/init.d/hpoj setup" command and it scans for, but does
not find the printer.  I have the .ppd file for the printer installed in
the /usr/share/cups/model/ directory.  The /proc/bus/usb/ directory is
empty.   When I tell CUPS to look to usb interfaces for the printer, no
matter what usb interface # I have used, the error log tells me the
device can't be found.  When I run "gs -h" the "ijs" device is listed in
the output.