Re: Addusers and domains ?

John Summerfield wrote:

Mark Lijftogt wrote:

Well.. any imap service is not related to domains.

Mail for qut.nl and theregister.co.uk could be hosted on the same physical host with one IP address. by using virtual domains. I don't know whether Courier supports this, by Cyrus does.

that's a job done by the mta, not done by a service to provide access to the mail.. so.. please .. correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the vhosting bit something that is done by service that provides
the smtp service ?
for dropping the mail in the right location (where ever you basicly want it, and however you please) ? it would be sorting thru a scrap book of non-sorted, diffrent kind of notes for a imap or pop3 deamon if the mda would just stash everything in one file (or diffrent files per mail).

as far as I know a service for imap or pop3 just directs the authentication of users to either a diffrent serivce, and by doing so the location of where the mail should be found. (these are personal config
issues)
the authentication bit is the key in what makes the vhosting real vhosting.

the only diffrence between cyrus and courier that I can find ... and yet again, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that courier provides an mta aswell as services that provide users access to their mailbox.

Cheers,
Mark