apt-move has 'deep emotional' issues

or at least it seems to ;)
It wont talk to /var/cache/apt/archives
I normally run 'apt-move update' to move all packages to a local
mirror. But it no longer does anything. I start it and it says:
Updating from local Packages files...

Moving files...

and thats it, it will sit there for days without any sign of hard disk
activity at all, past the initial 10 seconds. If tried a few things to
fix it.
I tried :
moving all the debs to a different directory and changing the package
src but its no good.
running apt-move local
apt-move packages (it updates its packages but wont then move my files)
apt-move fsck
apt-move move
apt-move delete (deleted a few old packages)

All of these it seems to do something but then afterward doesnt move
any files at all.

My versions are:
Debian testing (all updates applied as of today)
kernel 2.6.7-1-686 (the debian package)
apt-move version  1.108 2004/03/26 21:58:20 herbert Exp
This stopped working last week at some point