Re: gnumeric or oocalc

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 03:41:16PM +0000, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> Hi all
>        My intention is not to start a flamewar but to get opinions on
> which spreadsheet software is better? While having choice is better, I
> would prefer to start with one and stick to it if possible. In
> particular I am looking for
>
> 1) things which can be done in one but cant be done in another?
>
> 2) Which is better compatible with microsoft excel?

gnumeric was recommended as better than excel in some article(google for
it). It was shown to be compatible. Not sure about the 'macro' language?

> 3) which requires more memory, speed, other performance aspects?
>
> 4) which is being actively developed and has good documentation?

gnumeric is part of gnome and OO is a sun related project.
They have different goals.

> 5) Any better spreadsheet programs out there which I have not looked at?

It depends on the application. Maybe you dont need a spreadsheet as it
is one tool for data storage and manipulation. There are many math
programs like R, octave, etc. More or less a spreadsheet provides a good
gui and good "general" manipulation tool.

> 6) Enable some sort of scripting along with gui?

Both OO and gnumeric have some but I've never had a change to use them.

-Kev
--

        (__)
        (oo)