Re: Mozilla Bus error sadness

>MJ Inabnit wrote:
>Greetings wonderful Debian users:
>
>I have a mostly testing install with a bit of unstable tossed in for
>flavor--mozilla browser (1.7x). After the system updated several
>things, I loaded up mozilla just fine. Ran like a top. Now, if I try >to launch it, I get "Bus error". I removed it and reinstalled with
>same results. I then installed the testing version and STILL get the
>same results.
>
>I am DESPERATE! Help me, help me! (in fly talk).
>
>The system is an Intel P4 (2.4Ghz) Dell with 128MB RAM
>using I810 video driver and xfree 4.3
>
>Everything else seems to run perfectly.
>
>Thanks so much for any possible assistance.
>
>Regards

----and Kent said. . .----

Try moving your current profile directory out of the way, or try another user who has never used Moz before. Does it work? If so, you know the problem is in your profile. If not, I'd google for "mozilla bus error".

----

Hi Kent:

First, sorry about the lack of line feeds.  I use this account to
cut down the s p am problem and I can't set the line length ;(

Further info:
I removed the profile at each step, forcing mozilla to make a new
profile each time.  That didn't help.

I also made a new user account and mozilla failed there too with the
same error.

I just installed the latest unstable firefox and it runs perfectly,
so I know that something is happening in the system wide mozilla
config--I just don't know what :(

The only thing I found on Google was something about ulimit, which is
currently set at "unlimited", and is kind of over my head anyway :(

I also purged mozilla and all it's related stuff, installed testing
mozilla-browser with same error results.

Next I did a second unstable install of mozilla-browser just for kicks,
always ends with "Bus error" when I try to launch it.

Still, it just seems odd that mozilla 1.7 ran the first few times
perfectly befor it started to botch for unknown reasons.  Also, Mozilla
is the only thing that I upgraded, and apt had no problems with it at
all.

Hopefully someone will recognize the error and point me in the right
direction.

Thanks so much!

regards,  Jaye

Linux.Net -->Open Source to everyone