Re: Alsa in Debian Sarge? How to?

<snip>

> > I tried xmms with the alsa output plugin: it didn't work.
>

> A common reason for ALSA seeming to fail to work after it
> is first installed is that all the output levels are set
> to zero.  Install gamix and see if you can increase the
> levels above zero.

the settings were zero, but I reset them to something higher. But the
mixer settings seem to be a sensible place to look, as neither xmms, nor
alsaplayer complained about a missing lib or nonexistent alsa.

Where else are the volumes set?

The gnome panel applet is not zero, xmms is not set to zero and as I
have the OSS compatibility in alsa installed or only OSS runs: I hear
everything perfectly when I set the output plugins to OSS (xine and
xmms) - only not when using alsa.

<snip>

> > I rebooted (just to be on the save side) and started Gnome, I again
> > tried to run XMMS with the alsa output plugin, but it didn't work.
> > Nevertheless the OSS ouput plugin still works.
>

> Are you sure that the OSS drivers are not loaded?  Check
> by running lsmod.

lsmod gives me:

af_packet              22376  2
agpgart                34152  2 intel_agp
binfmt_misc            10408  1
capability              4520  0
cdrom                  40352  1 ide_cd
cfbcopyarea             3840  1 vesafb
cfbfillrect             3776  1 vesafb
cfbimgblt               3040  1 vesafb
commoncap               7200  1 capability
ds                     18532  4
e1000                  85636  0
ehci_hcd               31908  0
evdev                   9568  0
ext2                   72392  0
ext3                  127144  2
fat                    46688  1 vfat
font                    8320  0
freq_table              4292  1 speedstep_centrino
gameport                4704  1 snd_intel8x0
genrtc                  9608  0
hw_random               5460  0
ide_cd                 43332  0
ide_core              142808  5
usb_storage,ide_cd,ide_disk,ide_generic,piix
ide_disk               19264  4
ide_generic             1408  0
intel_agp              19836  1
irda                  197472  2 irtty_sir,sir_dev
irtty_sir               9184  2
isofs                  35416  0
jbd                    62264  1 ext3
joydev                  9888  0
lp                     11204  0
mbcache                 9348  2 ext2,ext3
mousedev               10444  2
parport                41832  2 lp,parport_pc
parport_pc             35008  1
pciehp                 99628  0
pci_hotplug            34640  2 shpchp,pciehp
pcmcia_core            68132  2 ds,yenta_socket
piix                   13440  1
processor              17264  1 speedstep_centrino
psmouse                20360  0
radeon                132324  2
reiserfs              245424  0
scsi_mod              125004  2 sd_mod,usb_storage
sd_mod                 21728  0
shpchp                102412  0
sir_dev                19244  1 irtty_sir
snd                    56644  10
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
snd_ac97_codec         70020  2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
snd_intel8x0           36460  1
snd_intel8x0m          20264  1
snd_mixer_oss          20096  3 snd_pcm_oss
snd_mpu401_uart         7968  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_page_alloc         11752  3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd_pcm                98756  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm_oss            55048  0
snd_rawmidi            25184  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8200  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_timer              25668  1 snd_pcm
soundcore              10336  3 snd
speedstep_centrino      7860  0
tsdev                   7328  0
uhci_hcd               32880  0
unix                   28624  644
usbcore               114784  6 ehci_hcd,usb_storage,usbhid,uhci_hcd
usbhid                 32768  0
usb_storage            68064  0
vesafb                  6656  0
vfat                   14656  0
xfs                   612152  0
yenta_socket           21440  0

and in /etc/modules I have:

ide-cd
ide-detect
mousedev
hid
i810_audio
e1000
psmouse
intel-agp
speedstep-centrino
thinkpad
#inserted by myself:
snd-intel8x0

> > Probably I still have oss running and that prevents alsa from doing it's
> > job, but I don't know how to go on from here: how do I disable OSS, how
> > enable alsa properly? What is the right way to install alsa on debian
> > anyway?
>

> If the problem is that OSS modules are loading then you need
> to configure whatever is loading them so that they don't do that.
> Discover and hotplug are the usual culprits.
>
> A quick hack is to move the OSS drivers out of
> /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/sound to some location
> where the module loader won't find them.

Yeah I did it, there was no /kernel/drivers/sound but a /kernel/sound so
I removed everything in oss.

It now works. (or seems to work) with the alsa plugin.

Thank you very much.
Pascal