Re: Konqueror File Associations

B. L. Jilek wrote:

> Hi Steven!
>
> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004, Steven Feinstein wrote:
>
>> > You should be able to just right-click on your file, select "Open
>> > With", choose your preferred app, and at the bottom of this window
>> > (before you click on OK), should be something like "Remember
>> > application association for this type of file". That should set that
>> > file type to open with your preferred app in the future.
>> >

>> I agree with you.  That is what should happen.  But for some reason it's
>> not.  I right-click, select Open With.., Other choose my app from the
>> Debian menu (in this case Debian | Apps | Viewers | MPlayer).  I select
>> Remember Application Association and it says Updating Configuration.. and
>> then opens the file in MPlayer.  The next time I left click on that file,
>> kaboodle opens again.
>>
>> I don't know if I have a setting wrong or its a permissions issue
>> somewhere, but the association is not staying.
>

> Have you tried just typing "mplayer" into the field at the top?  This
> is what I do.  I don't select apps from the menus.  Seems to work fine
> this way.  I have video files open up in mplayer.

By itself that did not work.  But...  I typed in mplayer and now noticed
that mplayer appears in the Open With menu (it wouldn't do that before).
So I went into Konqueror Configuration and was able to move Mplayer up to
the first position.  And now it works.  So at least I have a solution now
(not sure why the regular way does not work, but I'm leaning towards
something with the menu structure).

Thanks,

Steve