Re: First general purpose unmoderated newsgroup for Debian

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 19:49:12 -0500, Craig Jackson
<cjackson@localsurface.com> wrote:
> Why do we need SPF or Madrid? For seamlessness? Heck with that.
> PGP/GPG would help to actually fix a problem rather than patch one.

On the other hand, signing messages with GPG only deals with one of the problems
with spam -- the waste of the recipient's time.  The problem that
companies and ISPs
are more concerned with is resource usage.  If you have to store the
spam on your
mail spool, then it's costing you money.  The only way to get rid of
_that_ problem is
to stop the spam before it reaches disk.  That could either be done by
stopping the spam
earlier in the chain or making it unprofitable to spam.  If everyone
used GPG and checked
signatures on every message, spam wouldn't be worth sending.  100% GPG
utilization is
not likely to happen anytime soon, if ever.  Who's likely not to use
it?  Who's likely to
respond to spam?  I suspect you'll find a lot of overlap: people who
are somewhat
naive about computers and the Internet.

--
Michael A. Marsh