how to save changes to the routing table

I am a new debian user, and have just installed debian on an old PC.  I am in the process of setting up a local network, and find that when I boot up, some spurious entries in the routing table are causing problems.  When I delete these and retain only the routing table entries that should be there, everything is fine and I can ping to and from the computer.

However, everytime I boot up, the routing table returns to its previous state with the incorrect entries (they are to an interface that doesn't, as far as I know exist, not to my installed NIC interface).  I know that there must be a script somewhere that is creating the routing table entries on startup, but I can't find it.  I have looked everywhere that I can think of (including for files listed on the web as containing this information for other distros, but the files don't seem to exist in my installation), and done a grep search, but nothing appears.

I basically did a default debian install - can anyone tell me where the routing table is populated?

Kristin.