cdparanoia, ATAPI, and the 2.6 kernel

Hi,

I've been having some trouble with cdparanoia. I recently built a 2.6.7
kernel using make-kpkg. Previously I had been using the default debian
2.6.7 image. Mostly cdparanoia used to work OK, although occasionally it
would have some weird problem where it would stop using DMA. From what I
could gather from various web postings, this is because of a kernel bug,
but it wasn't such a big deal, because it didn't always happen. Now,
under the new kernel cdparanoia only rips very slowly, at least by a
factor of a few. But I don't see any error message in /var/log/messages
about DMA turning off, and it rips somewhat faster than when DMA would
turn off under the old kernel. I can't see why it should be ripping so
slowly - the cdparanoia people warn that using ATAPI instead of SCSI
emulation makes it slower, but I was already doing that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to further diagnose the problem?
I'm at a loss as to what to look for.

thanks,

Maurice