Re: apt-get upgrade changed desktop from kde to gnome

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 11:39:10PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 08:49:20AM -0500, Don Jackson wrote:
> > I've been using KDE desktop on my system with Sarge.  Last night did an
> > apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade before shutting system down. This
> > morning it booted up with Gnome desktop instead of the usual KDE, much to my
> > surprise and displeasure.
> >
> > Hints on how to change back to KDE the least painful way would be appreciated.
> > As far as I know, I did not voluntarily change anything for this to happen.
> > Am I the only one affected?  BTW, I have nothing against gnome ... it is just
> > that I started years ago with KDE and have stuck with it.  My desktop with
> > the involuntary "conversion" is a real mess!
>
> Is this related?:
>
> Last time I did an upgrade (from aptitude, last week) it offered to remove a
> huge number of packages for me, almost all of them related to KDE.
> Apparently some package that depended on all of them was no longer
> present.  Indeed, I could not find a package called simply "kde", which
> I presumed would be the name of the virtual package that hauls in the
> KDE components.  I hand-included packages until the proposed deletions
> were gone, and had no ill effects.
>
> Was there indeed supposed to be a package "kde"? or soething that fulfills
> the same role?  And did it disappear?

The package kde did exist in Sarge until Tuesday 31 Aug. That is when I attempted
a dist-upgrade and was distracted by a phone call as aptitude trashed my system.
I solved my problem by moving to unstable, which has a useful version of the
package kde, and versions of all the packages on which it depends.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net