Re: apt-get upgrade changed desktop from kde to gnome

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 08:49:20AM -0500, Don Jackson wrote:
> I've been using KDE desktop on my system with Sarge.  Last night did an
> apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade before shutting system down. This
> morning it booted up with Gnome desktop instead of the usual KDE, much to my
> surprise and displeasure.
>
> Hints on how to change back to KDE the least painful way would be appreciated.
> As far as I know, I did not voluntarily change anything for this to happen.
> Am I the only one affected?  BTW, I have nothing against gnome ... it is just
> that I started years ago with KDE and have stuck with it.  My desktop with
> the involuntary "conversion" is a real mess!

Is this related?:

Last time I did an upgrade (from aptitude, last week) it offered to remove a
huge number of packages for me, almost all of them related to KDE.
Apparently some package that depended on all of them was no longer
present.  Indeed, I could not find a package called simply "kde", which
I presumed would be the name of the virtual package that hauls in the
KDE components.  I hand-included packages until the proposed deletions
were gone, and had no ill effects.

Was there indeed supposed to be a package "kde"? or soething that fulfills
the same role?  And did it disappear?

-- hendrik