Re: First general purpose unmoderated newsgroup for Debian

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:53:20 -0700
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

> <#secure method=pgp mode=sign>
>
> Craig Jackson <cjackson@localsurface.com> writes:
>
> > Do we have flames? Or just friendly args?
>
> Generally, not even arguments.  Flames only come up when someone is
> insisting to be totally clueless.

My own idea is that PGP/GPG could save us all from spam and SMTP
messages being clear text in one fell swoop. If everyone encrypted their
email using GPG/PGP and refused to accept unencrypted email or mail not
encrypted with their public key, spammers would have a heck of a time
tracking all of those public keys then have to use a few CPU cycles to
encrypt before sending, not to mention a few million keys to juggle. And
surely the enduser PGP/GPG software could be made easy enough to use for
the average Joe -- as in find the recipient's key, encrypt and send--
doh. Why do we need SPF or Madrid? For seamlessness? Heck with that.
PGP/GPG would help to actually fix a problem rather than patch one.

Craig

Way out in left field with the solution.