Re: apt-get upgrade changed desktop from kde to gnome

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 08:49:20AM -0500, Don Jackson wrote:
> I've been using KDE desktop on my system with Sarge.  Last night did an
> apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade before shutting system down. This
> morning it booted up with Gnome desktop instead of the usual KDE, much to my
> surprise and displeasure.
>
> Hints on how to change back to KDE the least painful way would be appreciated.
> As far as I know, I did not voluntarily change anything for this to happen.
> Am I the only one affected?  BTW, I have nothing against gnome ... it is just
> that I started years ago with KDE and have stuck with it.  My desktop with
> the involuntary "conversion" is a real mess!

KDE in Sarge stopped working for me on Tuesday. The stoppage was
associated with an apt-get upgrade. I was unable to recover the
previous state in several days of fiddling with apt-get, aptitude,
etc. I got my KDE working again by doing a dist-upgrade to unstable. A
few nice things happened in this upgrade, for instance, eject now
works on my CD/DVD reader. I'm not really interested in tracking the
latest stuff. So I have set up apt preferences to track Sarge.  This
will, I think, keep the current setup, which will eventually become a
true Sarge system as newer versions of packages that I am using
migrate from Sid to Sarge.

I have a mixed KDE/Gnome setup, which I prefer to either KDE or Gnome.
A failure in either quickly brings my work to a stop, but I like my mix.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net