Re: First general purpose unmoderated newsgroup for Debian

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:02:15 +0200
Svenn Are Bjerkem <svenn@bjerkem.de> wrote:

> On Friday 03 September 2004 19:11, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > People sign their messages on Usenet as well.  If you don't like
> > PGP or GPG, that's a personal problem that you need to take care of
> > on your own.
>
> Oh, so it is a personal problem... Well, I am taking care of it: I am
> asking those who do to stop. But they don't seem to be willing to
> listen, or even try to understand the problem they may cause by their
> arrogant behaviour. I can't hit you with a big stick, so there is no
> reason to speak softly, you wouldn't care anyway. Would you?
>
> Why do you need to sign all your mails to a mailing list? Are you
> afraid that we wouldn't take you seriously unless you did so?

Isn't the signing of email to ensure the identity of the person posting
and the integrity of the email? On most lists I'd say that's not really
important, but on lists involving flames, I'd say why not. I don't know,
I just subscribed to this list. Do we have flames? Or just friendly
args?