Dock Appts II

Not what I'd call a torrential response to my first message regarding dock appts so I thought I'd write again in the hope that someone might help at this time. :-)

Although I'm by no means new to GNU/LInux, I am new to Debian. I've recently installed "testing" including base packages, X window system, fluxbox, aterm and a couple of browsers. I've used gkrellm in the past as a system monitor but would like to try dock appts for this purpose instead. Here are a couple of questions:

1. Is the Debian versioning system so rigid as too require only the installation of Debian packages? I ask because installation of "stable" and "unstable " packages is clearly discouraged and it occured to me that the use of non-Debian packages might equally be discouraged. The dock appts I'm considering are in most cases non-Debian packages and in the few instances where they are Debian packages, they're "unstable" or "stable".

2. Might anyone recommend dock appts which they favor.

Best regards.

jlowell