Re: cannot get working OpenOffice under Sarge :-(

Richard Palfalvi wrote:

I have just installed Sarge/testing on my Fujitsu-Siemens-Amilo-Laptop a
few days ago which runs in principle very fine.
I am using WindowMaker instead of KDE as my default Windowmanager and I
like it much.

But I cannot get running the delivered Deb-OpenOffice1.1.2 properly.
Starting it from the applications-menu or from the command-line doesn't
matter:

OPenOffice always starts, shows its starting-screen and then hangs up.

I always have to kill it by command-line or ksystemguard-tool.

For the first sessions after installation I was using KDE and there I
was able to start it properly.

I deinstalled it with the apt-get-command and installed manually the
downloaded OpenOffice-1.1.2.tar-gz.file from the OpenOffice.org-site.
In this case I can start it but got an error-message when trying to save
under the .sxw-format (using a .doc-file).

Anyway I would like to use the deb-file instead, also because I like
much more the new KDE-style of OO-1.1.2 with the new icons in the
tool-bars .....

What's going wrong here?

Any hints very appreciated.

thx. yours sinc. Richard

There was a thread a month or so back with similar symptoms. Someone said that if they let the system sit for an hour (or day?) or so, OO.o finally opened up and worked normally. I think someone else said it never started for them. I had similar issues, but I just waited a week or two and did another apt-get upgrade (I'm running Sid) and my problems went away.

So my guess is that whatever issues were in Sid have filtered into Sarge, but the fixes now in Sid haven't yet filtered down.

You might also try moving/deleting your ~/.sversioncc (or whatever) and ~/.openoffice.org (or whatever) to see if that has any affect.

--
Kent West
westk@acu.edu