ram-error when using apt-get install or dselect

Hi,

I have installed Sarge on my laptop and I am running often into the
following problem when I try to install packets with apt-get or also
with dselect.

Usually if there more than one packet to install or update dpkg shows
the following error-message during configuring the packets downloaded:

not enough ram available to continue (or configure) the packets you have
chosen to install (or something like this) - to many errors during
installation process - stopping the installation.

I never had this kind of errors with other debian-installations before!

I have an extra /var-partition with 1.5GB space, and my laptop has 128MB
of RAM. Why is this not enough when it worked with former
installations???

any hints very appreciated.

Richard