Re: question about growisofs

On 31. August 2004 at 9:38PM -0600,
Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> I remember being able to overwrite the contents of a dvd+rw
> by using the -Z option. That was from 6 or 8 months ago,
> and using woody rather than sarge. And, I distinctly remember
> that such a use of -Z was explained and recommended in the
> growisofs man page. But now it isn't mentioned, and it doesn't
> work. What is the way for wiping out and overwriting now?

I have tried burning a dvd+rw on my dvd+/- unit.  But I've used
"dvd+rw-format -blank" on a dvd-rw.  This "minimally" blanks the
dvd (there's also an option for -blank=full).  I don't know if
such a procedure shortens the life of the dvd or if it's even
necessary.  Maybe you can also force DAO using -dvd-compat
-dvd-compat (the 2x is not a typo).