USB problems

Hi All,

I've been running into problems trying to set up my HP 895 printer via a usb cable. I'm running sarge with a 2.6.8 kernel, and have installed hpij and hpoj. When I ran hpoj setup it told me I needed to place the line " none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0" in my /etc/fstab file. I did that and then ran the hpoj setup again. It probed all usb ports and found nothing. I also found no /usb in /proc/bus either. However, when the usb cable from the printer is plugged in at boot I find khubd is running. (If the usb cable is not plugged in boot time khubd does not start.) And when I attempt to expand /proc with the gnome file browser it says loading and the file browser hangs at that point. I have to close the file browser and reboot it to be able to use it after that. Also, if I kill khubd at that point my file browser or bash terminal will no longer open.

Anyone have any idea as to what is going on here? I'm pretty new to Debian and Linux so I'm kind of at a loss. I've done some Googling and from what I've been able to glean khubd is not a driver I want to be using. How do I get rid of it, and what do I replace it with? I've gone through modconf and find nothing obvious in there.