Re: debian system download

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 10:22:27PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> <#secure method=pgp mode=sign>
>
> Zgonzalesl@aol.com writes this glint of hope:
>
> > my father used to work with nasa in huntsville alabama.i'm in
> > california but i want to use debian,i have the floppy's required to
> > download but i'm not really computer literate.can you please help
> > me?
>
> You really don't want to start with floppies unless you absolutely
> have to.  You might try getting a Debian CD from a friend or local
> Linux User's Group.  If you have a high speed connection and a CD
> burner, I strongly suggest the new debian-installer CD, which does
> most of the heavy lifting for you.
>
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

If you get CD's, as of the stable release there are seven of them.  Anyone
know how many for sarge?  In any case, the only one you *really* need
is the first CD, because it contains enought to get started, including
the essentials and the post popular software.  The software is sorted
into CDs roughly by popularity.

And if you can't find anyone else to give you or lend you a CD, try
the list of CD vendors (which I believe is on the debian site), or
try the one I used, the computerhelperguy, www.chguy.com, who says he
will provide email support for life (I suspect his life, not yours).

In any case, there must be *someone* in California with a set of Debian
CDs you can copy!

And if your computer doesn't boot from CD, get a copy of the Smart Boot
Manager floppy, which I got from bootdisks.com, but which I didn't find
there last time I looked.  It should be available somewhere on the net,
though.

-- hendrik