Re: file name character set compatibility

Hi,

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:58:17 +0300, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> There are incompatibilies between characters permitted in Windoze file names,
> both English and localized versions (I am not addressing Unicode or Asian
> issues here!) and those permitted in Debian. Doing cp or rsync will reject
> files with these characters, even if the copy is between FAT32 partitions
> (best behavior would be to copy them as-is--if I cannot display the name in a
> terminal or file browser, this does not mean the name is not unique or
> invalid!!).

The Linux kernel supports several windows codepages. If you have
support for this compiled in (or as a module) you can probably mount
the file system with the corresponding codepage. Try that first and
see if it helps. Are we talking hebrew characters or something here or
is this just special characters like accents and the like?

> What may be done fo fix this? Often, Linux, main installation or Knoppix CD,
> is the best or only backup route.

So you mean it works from a knoppix cd? Have you tried to find out
what the differences are with your local installation? (check
/etc/fstab maybe for entries)

greets,
Wim