file name character set compatibility

There are incompatibilies between characters permitted in Windoze file names,
both English and localized versions (I am not addressing Unicode or Asian
issues here!) and those permitted in Debian. Doing cp or rsync will reject
files with these characters, even if the copy is between FAT32 partitions
(best behavior would be to copy them as-is--if I cannot display the name in a
terminal or file browser, this does not mean the name is not unique or
invalid!!).

What may be done fo fix this? Often, Linux, main installation or Knoppix CD,
is the best or only backup route.