GTK App Fonts

The apps I use based on either GTK or Gnome start up with very small fonts.
The apps I'm using are FireFox, The Gimp and gVIM.  I read in another
message that running gnome-settings-daemon solves the problem.  And it did.
My questions are:

1) Where should I put the call so it executes when I login (or startup
whichever is better).

2) Why do I need to do this?  Shouldn't the installation of gnome (even if I
don't use the gnome desktop) have taken care of this?

My system is Testing (Sarge) using KDM and KDE.  I last updated my packages
on 9/1.

Thanks for any pointers.

Steve