solved with minor glitch: Re: aptitude refuses to install gcc and a few other things

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:31:35PM +0200, Didde Brockman wrote:
> Try running "apt-get update" to make sure your sources for apt are up
> to date, then retry your install. That usually solves the problems I
> get which look similar to yours  :)
>
> //didde.
>
> On Sep 01, 2004, at 18:22, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> >I'm running denian-sarge.
> >When I try to install gcc using aptitude, I get the following lament:
> >
> >ftp://mirror.direct.ca testing/main gcc-3.31:3.3.4 [ERROR]
> > Unable to fetch file, server said
> >'/pub/linux/debian/pool/main//g/gcc-3.3/gcc-3.
> >
> >I get similar messages for several other files, such as cpp-3.3
> >gcc-3.3 libgcj-common, mpeglib (I asked for a few other packages,
> >too).
> >
> >Is there a problem with gcc and friends?
> >Or with the mirror?
> >Or (most likely) have I done something wrong?
> >
> >-- hendrik

Well, that worked!  I did it with the 'u - update' command in aptitude.

What was the problem -- that the package list or some such had not
been updated?

The only trouble it gave me was an attempt to uninstall lots and lots
of KDE-related packages because they were no longer needed.
Could it be that the kde metapackage disappeared?

-- hendrik