phpinfo.php won't load via apache

  I have been fighting this problem for quite awhile now and was
following the thread on similar problem.  This one is driving me
nuts!

  I have in /var/www a file named phpinfo.php.  If run from a console
a console it executes correctly and produces the usual output.

If run from within a index.html file
ie:
it executes as it should, and did, prior to upgrading to php4.

  When run as File > Run FIle, from any browser, it hangs or brings up
a new window that is blank and flashes (as in reloading) every few
seconds, depending on the browser.  That goes on until the browser has
to be killed.  All control within the browser is gone.

  I am running testing with apache 1.3.31-4 and libapache-mod-php4
version 4.3.8-9.  I have checked the BTS and do not see any problems,
like this, there.

The following are all the revelant php entries in the apache dir.

/etc/apache/httpd.conf:    DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.htm index.shtml index.cgi
/etc/apache/httpd.conf:    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
/etc/apache/mime.types:application/x-httpd-php phtml pht php
/etc/apache/mime.types:application/x-httpd-php-source phps
/etc/apache/mime.types:application/x-httpd-php3         php3
/etc/apache/mime.types:application/x-httpd-php3-preprocessed php3
/etc/apache/mime.types:application/x-httpd-php4         php4
/etc/apache/modules.conf:LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libphp4.so

 The really confusing thing is the phpmyadmin runs out of the box so I
am at a loss as to why apache or firefox etc, can't run the
phpinfo.php file directly.

  Any pointers appreciated!!!!

TIA,  Wayne