Re: Comparision presentation of Debian with RedHat

John Summerfield said:

> I don't know of any papers, but I have moved from RHL to Debian.
>
> My advice is do not convert.
>
> Instead, Replace.
> If you plan on changing distro, this might be  a good time to consider
> consolidating hardware, even changing platform. If Apple, Sun, IBM
> hardware looks good to you, Debian runs on it.

We moved our servers from redhat to debian.
A few servers moved to lineox, as their administrators were more
comfortable with the redhat-ish way of doing things.
We consolidated most of our servers to vservers as part of our migration.
This makes it trivial to replicate for failed hardware, and reduces our
hardware requirements. Makes it trivial to backup or restore full complete
configurations.

Our next step is to move to decent server hardware. We are moving to
namebrand HP proliant hardware.

Our final step is to move to full HA-Clustering+DRBD (for realtime data
synchronization)+vserver.

So we will finally have full high availability clustering for our servers,
which should give us an additional 9 on reliability.

-Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman