Re: xfree86 4.4.0

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 08:13:17PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:13:52AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > jack kinnon wrote:
> > > I'm not familiar with those licencing stuff. Does it
> > > mean that future software fr xfree86 will no more be
> > > free?
> >
> > Yes, that is correct.  XFree86 changed their copyright recently and it
> > is no longer free.  The major distros have dropped it due to the new
> > licensing restrictions.  This is not a Debian specific.  Here are some
> > slashdot articles on it.
> >
> >   http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/02/18/131223.shtml?tid=104
> >   http://slashdot.org/articles/04/03/17/226216.shtml?tid=104&tid=110&tid=152&tid=185&tid=187&tid=189
>
> I (think I) have read the previous thread about the license change, but
> probably not good enough. Would someone care to explain to me what
> exactly is the fuss about the license change? I understand that XFree86
> has the exception that you cannot "claim that you wrote it", right? Why
> does that make XFree86 non-DFSG compliant?

Look for more detail in my other post, but essentially they also
require you now to acknowledge their contribution along with any
acknowledgment to other software distributed with it.

I would guess that could imply to mean that distributions having a
splash screen of whatever of the distribution in the setup, or wherever
else, and that also distribute Xfree would have to provide a splash
screen for X in the setup (or wherever else that appears).