Re: xfree86 4.4.0

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:13:52AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> jack kinnon wrote:
> > I'm not familiar with those licencing stuff. Does it
> > mean that future software fr xfree86 will no more be
> > free?
>
> Yes, that is correct.  XFree86 changed their copyright recently and it
> is no longer free.  The major distros have dropped it due to the new
> licensing restrictions.  This is not a Debian specific.  Here are some
> slashdot articles on it.
>
>   http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/02/18/131223.shtml?tid=104
>   http://slashdot.org/articles/04/03/17/226216.shtml?tid=104&tid=110&tid=152&tid=185&tid=187&tid=189

I (think I) have read the previous thread about the license change, but
probably not good enough. Would someone care to explain to me what
exactly is the fuss about the license change? I understand that XFree86
has the exception that you cannot "claim that you wrote it", right? Why
does that make XFree86 non-DFSG compliant?

Thanks,

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!