X11 Mouse Cursor in gnome 2.6

Hi all,

Here's an odd problem I haven't found a work around for:

HP Laptop
S3 Savage/IX-MV video card
Sid
X SAVAGE video driver using the MobileSavage engine
Gnome 2.6
Login using GDM

When I login, a black cross X11 mouse cursor appears in the middle of
the screen in addition to the white gnome pointer.

This cursor is not present at the GDM screen.

I can't move it and the gnome mouse pointer goes behind it.

After about 10 mins it disappears and all is good, but it's quite
annoying for the first 10 mins of a session.

I'm figuring this is either something to do with the X setup on this
laptop or the driver for the video card, since I don't see this on my
desktop machine.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this Cursor vanish more
quickly?

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a