Re: apt-get upgrade conflicts

Hi Adam

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 15:41, Adam Funk wrote:
> I just did an apt-get upgrade and it kept a lot of packages back.
> I tried to apt-get install a few of them and it threatened to remove
> packages I need.  So I tried apt-get install <all the packages kept
> back> and it thinks it can do it:
>
> !root! /home/adam # apt-get upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   aewm capplets capplets-data dia dia-common dia-gnome dia-libs epiphany-browser ethereal ethereal-common galculator gconf2 gnome-control-center gnome-panel
>   gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal gnusound grip gtk-theme-switch gtk2-engines-crux gtk2-engines-industrial
>   gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-smooth gtk2-engines-thinice gtk2-engines-xfce libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libeel2-2
>   libgconf2-4 libgconf2-dev libglade2-0 libgnome-desktop-2 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libgnome2-dev libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomeui-0 libgnomevfs2-0
>   libgnomevfs2-common libgnomevfs2-dev libgsf-gnome-1 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-dev libmetacity0 libnautilus2-2 libpanel-applet2-0 librsvg2-2
>   librsvg2-common libvte-common libvte4 libwnck4 libxfcegui4-1 metacity nautilus netmon-applet pia rep-gtk sawfish scantv webcam xawtv xawtv-plugin-qt
>   xawtv-plugins xfce4-panel xscreensaver yelp zenity
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 71 not upgraded.
>
> /home/adam # apt-get install dia
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   dia-common dia-gnome dia-libs gconf2 gnome-keyring libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libgconf2-4 libgconf2-dev libglade2-0 libgnome-keyring0 libgnome2-0
>   libgnome2-common libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomeui-0 libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgpg-error-dev libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-dev
> Suggested packages:
>   gnome-vfs-extras2
> Recommended packages:
>   fam
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   gnome-themes gnome-themes-extras gtk-smooth-themes gtk2-engines-crux gtk2-engines-industrial gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-smooth
>   gtk2-engines-spherecrystal gtk2-engines-thinice gtk2-engines-xfce libgnome2-dev libgnomemm2.0-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libgnomevfsmm1.3-dev librsvg2-common xfce4
>   gnome-keyring libgnome-keyring0 libgpg-error-dev
>   dia dia-common dia-gnome dia-libs gconf2 libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libgconf2-4 libgconf2-dev libglade2-0 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libgnomecanvas2-0
>   libgnomeui-0 libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-dev
> 19 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 17 to remove and 42 not upgraded.
> Need to get 11.7MB of archives.
> After unpacking 18.9MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.

> [...]
                  [ ... ]

I extremely rarely say yes to something like "removing?" ... and only if
I can be sure I don't need the package(s) to be removed.

Sometimes in these situations I do a
apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade
(more on
<http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-dist-upgrade>)

Often I simply wait for a few days until all dependencies are met with
new, uploaded packages  ...

Best Regards
Wolfgang
--