Re: Boot to console

--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> In my /etc/rc2.d there are scripts for both "xdm" and "kdm" (having both

> packages installed). So I'm confused that you say that "xdm" is the
> controlling script; it seems to me that "kdm" (or "gdm", or "wdm") could
> just as accurately be labeled as the controlling script.

Depending on how you have it configured, yes.

> I do agree that "/etc/X11/default-display-manager" determines which DM
> actually runs.

It doesn't run, it gets read.

> Are you saying that changes should be made to "this"
> "default-display-manager" file, and no other, or to "this"

Again, depends what you told debconf -- you can set it so that the ?dm
script doesn't heed the value stored in default-display-manager.

> If you're saying the only file that should be changed is
> "default-display-manager", that makes more sense to me. However, does
> manual modification of this file confuse debconf (or
> update-alternatives, or whatever system manages this file)?

No, it doesn't bugger debconf. :) And update-alternatives has nothing to
do with *DM configuration.

Apologies if this was ambiguous.

-- Thomas Adam

=====