Re: Boot to console

Thomas Adam wrote:

--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
If you're just wanting to make a temporary change, I put the line "exit 0" as the first executable line in /etc/init.d/?dm.

/etc/init.d/xdm is the controlling script, which reads
/etc/X11/default-display-manager to ascertain which DM to run -- changes
should be made to this file, and no other.

In my /etc/rc2.d there are scripts for both "xdm" and "kdm" (having both packages installed). So I'm confused that you say that "xdm" is the controlling script; it seems to me that "kdm" (or "gdm", or "wdm") could just as accurately be labeled as the controlling script.

I do agree that "/etc/X11/default-display-manager" determines which DM actually runs.

Are you saying that changes should be made to "this" "default-display-manager" file, and no other, or to "this" "/etc/init.d/xdm" file? It sounds like you're saying the change should be made to "xdm", which doesn't really make sense if "kdm" has equal controlling ability.

If you're saying the only file that should be changed is "default-display-manager", that makes more sense to me. However, does manual modification of this file confuse debconf (or update-alternatives, or whatever system manages this file)?

--
Kent