Re: tips on using "screen"?

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 07:03, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> > Alternatively (or in addition), is it easy to start xterms on the
> > different virtual desktops - I can specify x,y,w,h but can I specify
> > virtual desktop?
>
> This depends on the window manager. But as xterm supports -xrm hints, it
> is possible to do something like:
>
> xterm -xrm 'Desk 1 2'

I'm running Debian sid, metacity.

In my GNOME pager I have 2 rows, 3 columns. Call it 1,1, 2,1, 3,1, 1,2,
2,2, 3,2. I start located at 2,2.

I have tried every combination of the following:

xterm -xrm '[*]{Desk|Page}[:][ ]a[ b][ c]'

where a is one of 0, 1, 2, 4, 6, and sometimes b and c are 0 0, 1 1, 1
0, or 0 1.

Every time, the xterm opens on the same window/ screen as I type the
command (into gnome-terminal) from.

I have two monitors, each 1600x1200, xinerama (side by side).

Any pointers as to how I can either save the desktop location of my
xterms into the gnome-session, or just manually specify (as I was hoping
above would work) where to start each x term, would save my days, weeks,
life :)

tia
zen