Re: install: kdelibs3 - error in unpacking

On torsdag 1. juli 2004, 12:45, Alexandr Rosen wrote:
> I am new to linux and debian and kde, and I have a problem
> with installing the system - the message
>
> kdelibs3 - error in unpacking
>
> occured during install, and "dpkg --configure kdm" says that
> errors were encountered while processing. Is there any easy
> solution?

Hi!

This isn't much of an answer, I guess, but perhaps better than nothing:

Debian is sort of three different distributions, stable, which is really
stable, testing and unstable. Stable is for those who do not want to
spend a lot of time figuring out things that are wrong. It just works,
with no glitches. Testing and to an even greater extent Unstable is
bleeding edge. They are probably among the most up-to-date things you
can find, but as you've noticed, you'd bump into issues now and then
that are harder to analyze. For that reason, they are mainly for
testing and development, for those who can address that kind of issues
easily on their own. There's a page about KDE in Debian at
http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianKDE
but I can't see anything of help to you there.

If you can't perhaps Debian is not for you. It can be pretty tough to
work with, and there are many things that need to be learnt. If you
want to learn it to the bottom, there will always be people willing to
help. I started right into Debian as a newbie, but I had 7 years of
experience as a UNIX user and a good friend in meatspace to hold my
hand... :-)

I suppose that since you're new, you would probably want to find a
flavour of Linux that's easier to get started with.

People here tend to recommend Xandros
http://www.xandros.com/
or Libranet
http://www.libranet.com/