Network Filesystem: NFS or Distributed?

I was looking into AFS for it's ability to dissconnect.  What I found was
a database system and other configuration nightmares.

I have several home computers and a fue laptops.  I have some drive space
here and there on the desktops and servers that I could spare for 'a
shared network resource'.  I have an 8Gb ResierFS setup to host this
resource, on paladin.  I also have files scatered all over that would be
addied into this resource.  It would seam fitting for me that all my
desktops and servers would be setup to host these files, with a main repo
on paladin.

I see the need for a distributed database and all, what I'm not finding is
a step by step howto.  Something on the lines of type this in.  I had
installed openafs-fileserver(deb-pkg) on paladen but that didn't seam to
help any.  Any one with experiance might help by inproving the pkg's
debconfig:)

Is NFS still the right choice for me?
To set that up, I echo "$path-to-share client(rw)" >> /etc/exports; and
apt-get.